Monday, 20 March 2017

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 – Huahine

We had a terrible sleep due to the extreme heat and humidity that did not let up even in the middle of the night. April had trouble getting comfortable and Bill had a terrible cough from his cold.
We had breakfast just after 7:30 at the pension—baguette, butter, jam, and slices of watermelon, and a cup of tea each.

We returned to our room and got ready to walk to town. We took the back road route to town, so we could stop by the pharmacy to see if there was something to help Bill get over his persistent cough and cold. The knowledgeable pharmacist, who spoke excellent English, helped Bill find a nasal spray and expectorant for the cough. April found some temanu oil and some monoi oil with Tahitian tiare flower in it.

We walked to the bank after and managed to get some money out of the machine with a debit card, but for the credit card we had to get the assistance of the bank teller again.

We walked further towards Fare and bought a few items at the Super Fare market, including a popsicle each, which in the mid-morning 30 degree heat melted very, very quickly. We ate our popsicles and had a cool drink, as we sat on a dock and looked out at the turquoise waters.

We looked in an artisan shop and then went to the Restaurant Huahine Yacht Club for lunch. Bill felt very sick and had only a starter salad. while April had the fish burger with salad. We both had coconut water straight from a young coconut served with a straw. One of our cat friends joined us for the meal and took scraps from us and let us pet him.

Fresh coconut water right from the source.

Where's my coconut?

We walked back to the pension, changed into our swimsuits and went to the beach. April spent almost the entire time (a couple of hours) snorkelling. Bill was not feeling well and spent some time lying in the shade resting and then came out to snorkel with April for the last part.

The path between the beach and Pension Meherio.

We went back to the pension in the late afternoon, showered, and had a nap. First, Bill started awake and then April started awake. Individually, we both thought we had imagined it, but when comparing our experiences, it seems as though something jumped on and over us. Given that we have only seen tiny ants and geckos in our room, it must have been a very brave gecko. This may have been payback from the gecko we scared the night before by trying to take photos of it.

We dressed, and walked into Fare, where we had dinner at the the Restaurant Huahine Yacht Club. As they were out of the Mahi Mahi that we were going to eat, we had Oahu fish on the recommendation of the waitress.

The fish was served in a vanilla sauce (vanilla is grown in French Polynesia, including on Huahine). April had her fish with fries and Bill had his with green beans. For dessert, April had warm coconut cake with coconut ice cream (this was absolutely excellent). Bill had mango sorbet, but had trouble eating much, as he had a coughing spell.

Add caption

The beach between Fare and our pension.

We walked back to the pension along the beach. We tried to air out our room to make it cooler. So far we have not seen a single mosquito, just some little flies and tiny ants. 

April wrote in her journal, while Bill coughed.

April’s ankles and feet were still very swollen as they have been since the flight. The heat and humidity are probably not helping, but many pregnant women have this difficulty on vacation, especially after long flights. 

We had a cool shower before bed as we were gross and sweaty again. It has not been cooling off at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment